Skip to main content

Welcome

 Hello world

Welcome to Quant Quest, my brand new journal documenting my foray into the fascinating and sometimes daunting world of algorithmic forex trading. As a relative beginner in the realm of automated strategies and quantitative analysis, this blog will serve as my logbook, my testing ground, hopefully, my chronicle of progress (and perhaps a few entertaining missteps along the way) but more importantly, my accountability.

In this blog, you can expect to find:

  • My learning journey: The concepts I’m grappling with, the resources I’m exploring, and the “aha!” (and “oh no!”) moments I encounter.
  • Algorithm development: Snippets of code (when I dare to share!), the logic behind my strategies, and the evolution of my bots.
  • Backtesting results: The cold, hard numbers (and my attempts to interpret them!).
  • Live trading experiments: The nervous excitement (and potential heartbreak) of deploying my creations in the real market.
  • My thoughts and reflections: The psychological aspects of trusting a machine with my capital, and the lessons I learn along the way.

I’m excited (and a little terrified!) about this new chapter in my trading journey. I believe that the future of trading lies in leveraging data and automation, and I’m eager to learn and grow in this space.

So, join me on this Quant Quest! Whether you’re a seasoned algo trader, a fellow beginner, or just curious about the intersection of finance and technology, I hope you’ll find something of interest here. Let the quest begin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Seventeen

 Hey everyone, After the eye-opening (and somewhat humbling!) experiences with my manual backtesting, and having re-prioritized my learning journey, I've come to a crucial realization: one of the most fundamental skills I need to truly master is proper backtesting methodology. It's not enough to just scroll charts and count pips. To truly validate a strategy and understand its edge, you need a systematic, unbiased, and thorough approach to historical data. This is where many aspiring traders, myself included, often fall short. Why Proper Backtesting is My Next Big Focus You might recall my previous posts about the pain of manual backtesting and the frustration of realizing my news straddle strategy "sucked." While those were valuable lessons, they also highlighted a gap in my knowledge: how to design and execute a truly effective backtest. That's why my immediate next step is to learn how to backtest properly via The Trading Cafe's dedicated course on the sub...

Day Sixteen

 Hey everyone, It's been a week of reflection and some important re-calibrations on my trading journey. You know how it goes – sometimes you make a decision with good intentions, and then, with more knowledge and perspective, you realize it might not be the best path forward right now . That's exactly what happened with a trading contest I recently signed up for. The Contest: A Good Idea... Eventually I initially thought signing up for a trading contest would be a great way to test my mettle, push myself, and get some real-time practice. After all, the competitive element can be a strong motivator. I discovered this particular contest through The 5%ers , a prop firm that has quickly become a favourite in my research, especially with recommendations from members of The Trading Cafe community. However, after a lot of thought and reviewing my recent progress, I've come to a clear conclusion: it was a terrible idea to sign up for a contest right now. And with that realization,...

Day Fifteen

 Hey everyone, It's been a really productive period on the learning front, and I'm feeling a significant shift in my focus and confidence! I've been pushing hard to solidify my foundational knowledge, and I'm excited to share some major updates. "The Boring Shit" is Done! First off, I'm thrilled to announce that I've completed "The Boring Shit That Makes You Rich" course! This course from The Trading Cafe, despite its cheeky name, has been an absolute game-changer. It hammered home the non-negotiable importance of trading psychology, robust risk management, and disciplined learning. It provided so much clarity on managing emotions, setting realistic expectations, and building effective study habits – all the stuff that truly underpins success in trading, regardless of the strategy or automation level. Finishing this feels like a major step forward in building a truly resilient trading mindset. TradingView Mastered (for now!) On the practical...